Welcome to the UChicago Central Shop
Your on-campus source for machining and assistance with your specialized build projects.
Due to Covid restrictions, Central Shop meetings are by appointment only.
- Fabrication of scientific instruments and apparatus
- Turning, milling, drilling and tapping
- Sheet metal forming
- Sawing, welding, painting, pressing, grinding, polishing and inspection
- Large or small jobs
- Engineering and designing
- CNC machine capabilities, including milling and turning
Questions? Contact Gordon Ward, 773-702-7247 (please leave a message).
7:00am – 3:30pm, Monday – Friday
* $76/hour for UChicago users
The Central Shop is a University of Chicago recharge operation. Bills are issued monthly for the number of hours worked on each project. Monthly bills are sent to each user in advance for approval or correction.