Welcome to the UChicago Central Shop
Your on-campus source for machining and assistance with your specialized build projects.
The Central Shop is now closed.
Note Central Shop meetings are by appointment only.
The UChicago Central Shop is a full-service machine shop. Working with any materials, services include:
- Fabrication of scientific instruments and apparatus
- Turning, milling, drilling and tapping
- Sheet metal forming
- Sawing, welding, painting, pressing, grinding, polishing and inspection
- Large or small jobs
- Engineering and designing
- CNC machine capabilities, including milling and turning
Questions? Contact Gordon Ward, 773-702-7247 (please leave a message).
5620 South Ellis Ave
Chicago IL 60637
The UChicago Central Shop is located in the basement. Enter through the 5620 S Ellis entrance and go down the stairs.
7:00am – 3:30pm, Monday – Friday
* $76/hour for UChicago users
The Central Shop is a University of Chicago recharge operation. Bills are issued monthly for the number of hours worked on each project. Monthly bills are sent to each user in advance for approval or correction.